Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Oh Pitbull, Didn't Your Mom Ever Tell You That Stealing is Bad?

Am I against sampling? NO, but what I am against is artists who have built their career off stealing other peoples music.  At least when De La Soul and The Beastie Boys used other records, they buried the sample.  Pitbull is blatantly capitalizing on the commercial success of these classic records.  It would be like me sampling Usher- Yeah, DJ Kool- Let Me Clear My Throat, or Jay-Z Empire State of Mind to make a new record.  Make something original and then maybe I'll take you seriously.  Let's take a look at Pitbull's 10 biggest records:

1.  Shake samples Din Daa Daa by George Krantz
2.  Fuego samples When I Hear Music by Debbie Deb
3.  Secret Admirer samples My Boo by Ghost Town DJs
4.  The Anthem samples Calabria 2007 by Enur feat. Natasja
5.  Move Shake Drop samples Satisfaction by Benny Benassi
6.  Hotel Room Service samples Push The Feeling on by Nightcrawlers
7.  I Know You Want Me samples 75, Brazil Street by Nicola Fasano and Pat Rich
8.  Pearly Gates samples Heaven by DJ Sammy and Yanou
9.  Give Me A Bottle samples Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes
10.  Bon Bon samples We No Speak Americano by Yolanda Be Cool and D-Cup

An even sadder commentary is that if I were to play the original of one of these samples, people nowadays would more than likely get mad that I didn't play the "Pitbull" version.

I don't care if you cleared and paid for the sample.  What that tells me is that you've got plenty of money,  but no creativity.  Congrats!

No comments:

Post a Comment