Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mash-up Magic

I've found that Mash-ups are the logical follow up to DJing. I was spinning at Baja, a local spot here in Richmond, and I tried to do both of these live, but the phrasing was off on either the vocals or the instrumental.  Ipso facto I threw them in Acid and within 10 minutes each were finished.


1. A 1901- Lil' Wayne vs. Phoenix:  I saw someone try to do this on HypeM, but it was horribly executed so I tried it live, figured out the problems and redid it.  This is a custom edit that is intended for DJing as it has an a cappella out ending





2.  Wishplanes- Skee-Lo vs. B.o.B.: The first thing I do when I listen to a new record is to think about what kind of story I can tell with it.  When I heard Airplanes, I couldn't help but notice the emphasis on wishes throughout the verses and chorus. It was either R. Kelly's I Wish or Skee-Lo's I wish.  I tried the R.Kelly, but Skee-Lo worked better.  I did an entire Mash and a custom re-edit for DJs with an a cappella out



No comments:

Post a Comment